A delicious salad with inspiration from the Middle East, where the sweet nutty flavour from roasted butternut squash, crunchy spicy chickpeas and creamy tahini sauce create a unique flavour combination and exciting contrasts.
Roasted chickpea & butternut squash salad
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika powder
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 red onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 bag (70g) mixed lettuce
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp water
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven at 200 °C. Rinse and drain the chickpeas and pat them dry with paper towels or a clean tea towel. Mix them in the oil and spices and spread them out over one half of a baking tray.
2. Dice the butternut (with or without peel) and transfer to a bowl. Peel and cut the onion in wedges and place in the bowl. Add oil, salt and pepper and combine. Spread them out over the other half of the baking tray and roast for about 30 minutes until the butternut is soft and chickpeas slightly crunchy. Stir half way through.
3. Mix the ingredients for the sauce. Toss the roasted vegetables and chickpeas with the mixed lettuce in a large bowl, drizzle the sauce over and fold, or serve in a bowl on the side. Enjoy!
Tips! Roasted chickpeas are great as a healthy snack! Flavour them with your favourite spices or the ones in this recipe.