Churros is actually easier to make at home than they might seem, and will be a loved treat among both adults as well as children on the potluck this summer – especially when they’re served with a nice chocolate sauce..! Here is our vegan version of these tasty Spanish delights. Yum!
Churros with chocolate sauce
about 15–20 churros
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 50 g non-dairy butter, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ca 1 liter vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 250 ml non-dairy cream
- 50 ml non-dairy milk
- 2 tbsp light syrup
- 200 g dark chocolate, chopped
- Bring water to a boil in a pot. Remove from heat and add melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Combine sifted flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and make a well in the middle. Pour the liquid into the well and quickly mix to a sticky, soft dough free from lumps. Let rest for 10–15 minutes and prepare the sauce in the meantime.
- Heat cream and syrup in a small pot, add chocolate and stir until it has melted. Set aside and keep warm. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Fill a piping bag (with a star nossle) with dough. Heat oil in a wok to 190 degrees celcius. Squeeze out the dough through the piping bag in long pieces and drop directly into the oil, fry for a minute until golden. Fish them up with a sieve and let them dry on paper towels. Sprinkle the cinnamon mixture over them and fry the rest of the batter in portions. Serve with the chocolate sauce for dipping.